Associate in Science Degree
Campus contact for this program:
Professor Letizia Morales, LMorales@hcc.commnet.edu
Students successfully completing the program will function as entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with the following capabilities:
- Eligibility to sit for a national medical assisting certification examination
- Medical assisting skills to perform at entry level competency
- Demonstrated ability to accurately maintain healthcare records while upholding all related laws and regulations
- Demonstrated accurate problem solving in classroom and clinic
- Communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, families and other healthcare providers
- Demonstrated behaviors consistent with the Medical Assisting Code of Ethics
- Ability to competently function within the medical assisting scope of practice
- Ability to competently function within an interdisciplinary healthcare team
Third Semester - Students must acquire certification from the American Red Cross in CPR and First Aid before beginning the third semester.
Fourth Semester - Medical Assisting Externship - 160-200 hours in a supervised non-classroom setting. The first weeks of course will be classroom based simulations prior to the off-campus experience. This course is the final 10 weeks of the semester after completion of all other MED requirements.