Becoming Connecticut State Community College …
STUDENTS: The Community Colleges are undergoing a merger with a plan to become Connecticut State Community College in fall 2023; please work closely with your advisor/program coordinator to select your courses accordingly. CLICK HERE for more detail about this exciting transition!
Campus contact for this program:
Professor Pam Pirog, PPirog@hcc.commnet.edu
This program is designed to provide students with basic knowledge and skills to operate a small business. The following topics will be covered: market analysis, advertising strategy, and retail site selection, operations management, and financial considerations. Students will become familiar with an automated accounting package. Small business and entrepreneurial skills will encompass problem solving while utilizing analytical skills in decision making. The students will write a business plan for a start-up organization. Credits can be applied toward an associate degree in Small Business Management/Entrepreneurship.
The Small Business Management/ Entrepreneurship certificate will provide the students with the following managerial skills needed for the positions within small business:
- A proficiency to analyze marketing strategy emphasizing competitive advantage and the ability to provide recommendations.
- A proficiency in the selection of advertising methods, pricing strategy and site selection strategy.
- A proficiency in management operations regarding forms of organization, human resource management, and e-commerce.
- The ability to prepare financial statements.
- The ability to produce automated financial statements.
- The ability to write a business plan for a start-up organization.