2017-2018 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Early Childhood Inclusive Education (EA99)
Associate in Science Degree
This program is designed to prepare qualified students to become teachers and teachers’ assistants in the field of early care and education. This program equips students with the skills and competencies to work effectively with young children 0-8 years old or to apply to a four/five year teacher certification program for elementary school-age children. Instruction is designed to be practical and heavily supplemented with field observations, internships, workshops, and seminars.
- Identify the theoretical and philosophical approaches to early childhood education within the context of children’s diverse cognitive, linguistic, physical, social, emotional, and cultural needs.
- Plan curricula consistent with developmentally appropriate practices based on knowledge of child development and observation, individual children’s needs, and the environment.
- Implement a learning environment that supports all aspects of the well-being of all children including those with special needs and diverse backgrounds.
- Define collaborative strategies that help in establishing and maintaining relationships with families and the community to support children’s growth and development.
- Communicate effectively with other professionals to support children’s development, learning and well-being. Examine professional responsibilities including professional development, advocacy, and ethical conduct.
- Demonstrate the ability to link theory and practice in early childhood settings.
- Access professional literature, organizations, and other resources to inform and improve practice.
NOTE: To meet state articulation requirements, transfer students must take the following courses: Science: must be a laboratory science; Math: must be MAT* E137 or higher; History must be HIS* E201 . Transfer students must have a 2.7 GPA and pass the state-mandated skills examination (PRAXIS I) before they can be admitted into a university education program.
NOTE: Fingerprinting and a background criminal check are required for any job working with children.
State approved for the CT Early Childhood Teacher Credential (ECTC)