Jul 17, 2024  
2019-2020 Academic Catalog 
2019-2020 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



General Philosophy

The College provides educational opportunities to people regardless of age, religion, racial or ethnic backgrounds or disabilities.

Admission to some programs within Housatonic require a personal interview and/or special academic background. The specific requirements of these programs are on the individual program page.

The Admissions Office assists anyone needing further program information. You may contact the Admissions Office at 203-332-5100 or email at HO-WAdmissions@hcc.commnet.edu.

 Back to Top

Admission Requirements

If you plan to enroll at Housatonic Community College, you must be a graduate of an accredited secondary school or hold a State Equivalency Certificate (GED). If you are a mature applicant who cannot meet these requirements, you may be given special consideration based on your qualifications and experience. This consideration must be approved by the President or his/her designee.

To apply for admissions, you must:

  1. Obtain an application from the Admissions Office or from a high school guidance office, apply online, or download an application from the web site.
  2. Submit an official copy of your high school transcript (sent from your high school) showing graduation, or a copy of your diploma, or a copy of your G.E.D. Proof of high school completion must be provided before you can enroll in a degree or certificate program. Non-degree students are not required to provide proof until matriculating in a degree program. Transcripts should be submitted to Deborah Kuchmas, Transfer Coordinator in LH 112n.
  3. Submit an official transcript of previous course work to the Admissions Office if you have attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute).
  4. Provide proof of compliance with the MMRV Immunization policy. See section on MMRV Immunization for complete information. (Not required for students taking only on-line courses)

Test waivers may be given for certain exceptions. Please see the section in this catalog on TEST WAIVERS.

 Back to Top

Residency Requirements

Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-29. (Formerly Sec. 10-329e). Determination of student status.

Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-30, it shall be presumed that the establishment of a new domicile in the state of Connecticut by an emancipated person has not occurred until he has resided in this state for a period of not less than one year. See general statutes 10a-27, 10a-28, 10a-29, 10a-30 for full text and related statutes.

Per Public Act 11-43, undocumented students shall be entitled to classification as an in-state student for tuition purposes, (A) if such person (i) resides in this state; (ii) attended any educational institution in this state and completed at least four years of high school level education in this state; (iii) graduated from a high school in this state, or the equivalent thereof, and is registered as an entering student, or is enrolled at a public institution of higher education in this state, and (B) if such person is without legal immigration status, such person files an affidavit with such institution of higher education stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file such an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

  Back to Top

Admission Deadlines

Individuals interested in enrolling at Housatonic should apply for admission as early as possible. Students are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. All students must be admitted before registering for classes.

Students entering Allied Health programs are admitted only for the Fall semester but may enroll earlier for their prerequisite academic core courses under the General Studies program.

Application forms and other information about applying for admission can be obtained from the Admissions Office by a personal visit to the office at 900 Lafayette Boulevard, on the web site at www.housatonic.edu, by calling 203-332-5100, or by mail to:

Admissions Office
Housatonic Community College
900 Lafayette Boulevard
Bridgeport, CT 06604-4704

 Back to Top

Measles/Rubella Vaccine Requirement

Connecticut General Statutes Section 10a - 155.

Beginning August 1, 2010, all incoming freshman are required to show proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella immunization.

STUDENTS ARE EXEMPT from showing proof if:

  • born before January 1, 1957
  • taking online courses only

Official Documents include:

  • Physician’s documentation of inoculations.
  • Blood work indicating immunity.
  • A physician’s certification that the student had the disease.
  • A physician’s certification that inoculation is medically contraindicated.
  • A signed statement that receiving immunizations is against your religious beliefs.

The first Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella inoculation must be after the student’s first birthday. A second MMRV inoculation is required and must be at least thirty days after the first.

Documentation must be submitted before registration A Proof of Immunization form may be downloaded from the Admissions section of the HCC web site at www.housatonic.edu and submitted along with your application for admission.

For more information call 203-332-5048 or 203-332-5100 or fax information to 203-332-5294.

  Back to Top

Placement Testing

Most first-time students admitted to HCC are required to take a placement test. See also Test Waivers.

Those required to take the test include:

  • All first-time students enrolled in a degree or certificate program;
  • Any student who does not initially seek a degree or certificate but who registers for a course that would result in the accumulation of 12 or more credits;
  • Any transfer student who has not successfully completed a college-level English composition or math course (transcripts required);
  • Any student electing to take an English writing course or a mathematics course;
  • Any student electing to take English as a Second Language course.

New students needing the Accuplacer Placement may elect to attend the Accuplacer Preparation Workshop (APW). Workshops are held on a walk-in basis in the Center for Academic Progress (CAP) in LH-L146 or LH-L151. Lab hours are posted on the HCC website. The workshop includes a practice test in reading, writing, arithmetic, and algebra. Vickie Fabrizio, Testing Specialist, VFabrizio@housatonic.edu, (203) 332-5217, Office LH-L104

Upon completion of the Workshop, students can schedule an appointment for the Accuplacer test or may choose options for additional review prior to taking the Accuplacer test.

The Accuplacer placement test is an assessment of basic English, reading and math skills. This information assists students and the college in making decisions about the appropriate level of course placement based on the student’s academic skills. The Accuplacer test is given throughout the year and is administered on a computer. Test scores remain valid for two years without the student needing to be retested.

Before taking the Accuplacer placement test, students should have a tuition payment strategy, and before registering, students should have financial aid in place.

Advanced Placement Policy

The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) and the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) are pleased to announce that the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR) has adopted a uniform policy for advanced placement credit and student placement. Under the new policy, all CSCU institutions will grant academic credits to any student earning a score of 3 and higher on any AP examination. Students transferring from a CSCU community college to a CSCU university or Charter Oak State College or transferring between two-year colleges or between four-year institutions within CSCU with AP scores of 3 and higher shall be considered for the awarding of course credits and/or placement at any CSCU institution. The complete policy is available on the CSCU website http://www.ct.edu/regents/policies.

 Back to Top

Test Waivers

Placement testing may be waived for students under the following conditions:

  • Students who have completed a college-level English and/or math course with a grade of “C” or better (official documentation is required).
  • Students who have an Associate Degree or higher may be exempt from testing. Official transcripts must be provided; however, unofficial transcripts may be used for advising and placement purposes.
  • SAT/ACT Scores: Students with qualifying SAT scores (530+ in Math and/or 25+ in Reading) or ACT scores (18+ in Math and/ or 37+ in Combined English and Reading) may be exempt from the placement test. SAT and ACT scores are valid for 2 years only. A copy of SAT/ACT scores must be provided to the Admissions Office in order to be eligible for a test waiver.
  • GED Scores: Students with qualifying GED scores (165+ in Mathematics Reasoning and/or 165+ in Language Resoning Arts) may be exempt from placement test.
  Back to Top

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Prior Learning Assessment is a process that gives students the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a certificate, diploma, or degree. Students will need to demonstrate that they have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences.

Students may earn up to 30 credits for knowledge acquired outside of the college classroom from such experiences as paid or volunteer work, on-the-job training, vocational training, hobbies, or self-initiated study. In general, the college awards credit when a student thoroughly demonstrates competence in areas that are required in the student’s program of study. A student can demonstrate competence through the following methods of assessment.

Credit (by examination) for Experiential Learning

Educational experiences gained outside of the traditional college setting through employment, military, volunteer work or independent study activities may be valid towards completing degree requirements. Students who have enrolled in a degree or certificate program at HCC may be granted credit and advanced standing for such experiences, if applicable.

If you wish to earn credit for experiential learning, you must complete a Challenge Exam Form from the Admissions Office and submit it to the appropriate academic department for approval. Upon approval, arrangements will be made for completing either a standardized or departmental test or other assessment procedure for determining if credit will be granted. As per Board Policy, no more than fifty percent of an approved program may be awarded for prior experiential learning. All work must be completed within one year from the initial date of the request.

CLEP/DSST Examinations

CLEP (College Level Examination Program) and DSST exams are widely accepted credit-by-examination programs which allow students to earn college credit by demonstrating college-level knowledge gained through prior academic study, independent study, or professional experience.

Exams are 1½ to 2 hours in length and cover a wide range of academic subjects. Upon successful completion, students are granted credit for equivalent courses as determined by the college. A list of HCC course equivalencies and credits awarded can be found on the HCC Testing Services website. The awarded credits will appear on a student’s college transcript but will not be used in calculating grade point average (GPA) or eligibility for Academic Honors at graduation.

For more information about CLEP or DSST, visit the HCC Testing Services website at http://housatonic.edu/student-services/testing-services.

To schedule an appointment, contact the testing staff (LH-L104) at 203-332-5217.

Credit for Previously Evaluated Training

At HCC, three national certifications have been internally approved for transfer credit at the college, including CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and CompTIA Security+. Based on a thorough review of the non-credit CompTIA curriculum by Computer Science faculty, students who are entering a credit certificate or Associate of Science degree in Computer Science can be awarded transfer credit, if they complete a non-credit CompTIA program at HCC and present proof of CompTIA certification.

Continuing Education’s Non-Credit Programs Business Department Credit Courses Transfer Credit Awarded
CompTIA A+ Certification CST* E141 - Computer Hardware 4 credits
CompTIA Network+ Certification CST* E184 - Network Administration I  ​  3 credits
CompTIA Security+ Certification  CST* E269 - Introduction to Computer Security   3 credits

To be awarded the credits listed above, the student must a) be admitted to Housatonic Community College, b) begin classes within two years of completion of a CompTIA program, and c) satisfy the credit hour requirement by completing at least six college credits at Housatonic Community College.

For more information please contact the Business Department Chair, Pamela Pirog: 203-332-5124 or ppirog@housatonic.edu

Assessment by Portfolio

The portfolio process allows students to demonstrate competence in one or more courses in their program of study. Students can utilize the PLA Portfolio assessment program coordinated by Charter Oak State College by visiting www.CharterOak.edu. Credit earned through the portfolio submission is institutional credit, which can be applied to graduation but is not typically transferred out to another institution.

College Credit for Non-Credit Programs

CCAP-Reviewed Programs

The Connecticut Credit Assessment Program (CCAP) at Charter Oak State College conducts credit reviews of training programs and credentials, making credits available to successful completers. At HCC, several non-credit courses have been evaluated; these CCAP-reviewed programs include the following:

  • Certified Nurse Aide (4 credits)
  • Community Health Worker (4 credits)
  • Patient Care Technician (7 credits)
  • Pharmacy Technician (4 credits)

Students who have completed one of the CCAP-reviewed programs listed above can use the Special Credit Registry service through Charter Oak State College, which is provided at a reduced rate of $128. The student should request that HCC send official transcripts directly to the Charter Oak Registrar’s Office. Transfer credit will be placed on the student’s transcript, but it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that HCC or another receiving institution will allow for the transfer of such credit. Students are encouraged to speak with their faculty advisor to discuss transferability.

For more detailed information about the credit registry, contact Paul Morganti by email (pmorganti@charteroak.edu) or by telephone at (860) 515-3823.

CCAP-Reviewed Credentials

At HCC, the Certified Professional Coding credential was approved through the CCAP process. Students should submit a Credential Credit Application available through the PLA Office at Charter Oak State College. Email pla@charteroak.edu for the application. Students will then use the Special Credit Registry service, which is provided at a reduced rate of $128. The student should request that HCC send official transcripts directly to the Charter Oak Registrar’s Office. Transfer credit will be placed on the student’s transcript, but it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that HCC or another receiving institution will allow for the transfer of such credit. Students are encouraged to speak with their faculty advisor to discuss transferability.

For more detailed information about the credit registry, contact Paul Morganti by email (pmorganti@charteroak.edu) or by telephone at (860) 515-3823.

 Back to Top

Math and English Refresher Programs in the Center for Academic Progress (CAP)

The CAP offers free refresher programs for students who place into precollege level courses in Reading, Writing and/or Math. There are six refresher programs: iReading, iWriting, iMath, and Jumpstart Reading, Writing and Math. Eligibility and enrollment for these programs are determined by CAP staff after students have taken a placement test. If completed, these programs allow students to retake that section of the placement test. These programs are a great opportunity to refresh skills before beginning college coursework. For information about these programs contact the CAP coordinator, Andrew Pelletier at apelletier@hcc.commnet.edu or call the CAP at 203-332-8585.

Lab Hours

Computer lab hours are posted each semester at the lab and are available on the HCC website at https://housatonic.edu/student-services/academic-support/center-for-academic-progress.

 Back to Top

Students with Disabilities

While disabilities services are available to students at any time, new students are encouraged to register with the Accessibility Services Office immediately after acceptance by the college. Disabilities services are available to students at any time during their enrollment with the college but to ensure adjustments are in place for the entire semester students must have their documentation submitted to the AS office and attend their scheduled appointment. To make an appointment please call 203- 332-5018. We welcome students with disabilities and the opportunity to make their college experience a successful one.

For more information visit http://www.housatonic.edu/student-services/disability-support or contact Marilyn Wehr, Coordinator of Accessibility ServicesRoom LH-L115, (203) 332-5018, MWehr@housatonic.edu

  Back to Top

Students with Medical Problems

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Academic Dean Office, BH-278 or 203-332-5061 and instructors of any chronic medical problem which may require accommodations and/or adjustments. Provision for Medical/Administrative withdrawals can only be made if supported with medical documentations that are substantiated.

 Back to Top

Non-degree, Non-matriculated Students (Not Currently in High School)

Non-degree, non-matriculated students (not currently in high school) are individuals who have not yet selected a program, although they have been formally admitted to the college. Non-degree, non-matriculated students are not required to submit an official high school or college transcript until they enroll into a degree or certificate program. They may register only as part-time students (11 or less credits per semester) and enroll on a course-by-course basis. If successfully completed, and if applicable, these students may have the credits applied toward a degree or certificate upon declaration of degree status. Non-degree, non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid. A student who has accumulated 12 or more credits is required to declare a degree or certificate program and become a matriculated student in order to continue enrollment at the college.

  Back to Top

Programs for High School Students

Housatonic offers a number of programs which provide access to the college for high school students.

High School Partnership Program (HSP)

Housatonic and many area high schools have signed agreements which permit eligible high school juniors and seniors to enroll in college-level credit courses at Housatonic at no cost under the Housatonic High School Partnership Program. To be eligible for consideration, students must have the written recommendation of their high school principal or counselor, have at least an 80 (“B”) academic average, and test into college-level (non-remedial) courses. Students admitted under the High School Partnership Program are responsible for the cost of their books and transportation. 

College Career Pathway Program

College Career Pathways (CCP) is a concurrent enrollment program between Housatonic Community College (HCC) and the area’s high schools. CCP is federally-funded through the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act of 2006, “which provides an increased focus on the academic achievement of career and technical education students, strengthens the connection between secondary and postsecondary education, and improves state and local accountability ” (U.S. Department of Education).

CCP is a career and technical education (CTE) program in which career pathways are directly connected to degree and certificate programs at HCC. Students who are in their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school are exposed to the rigor of a college level experience and have an opportunity to earn college credit as well as high school credit. CCP is devised to build student competency in career pathway courses and provide academic preparation for today’s highly skilled workforce needs.

High school sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have demonstrated an interest in exploring or pursuing a CTE pathway to a career are eligible to participate in CCP courses. Junior and senior students must meet the college’s established placement (course entrance) criteria prior to enrolling in the CCP courses. Sophomore students deemed socially and cognitively ready for college-level coursework may also be enrolled in CCP courses. Course enrollment of sophomores will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In addition to meeting placement criteria, sophomores must demonstrate sufficient maturity and motivation.

The Board of Regents, the governing body of the Connecticut community colleges, authorizes the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) to utilize their choice of commonly-accepted multiple measures of skill level to determine student preparedness for admission to the community college and to enroll in credit-bearing courses. Those measures are:

  • PSAT/SAT Scores
  • High School Transcript
  • Accuplacer
  • Local Challenge Essay
  • Non-Cognitive Questionnaire
  • Student Interview
  • Local Math Exam

A high school may consider employing one or more of the Board of Regent’s multiple measures for admission in addition to locally-developed school-based criteria. These selection process measures should be designed collaboratively with the college partner to ensure alignment with the Board of Regents and NECHE policy, in order to best determine if a student has the desire, aptitude and work ethic needed to successfully complete a concurrent enrollment course and receive both college and high school credit. The process should not be so rigorous as to exclude the very students who would most benefit from the opportunity to experience college and earn commensurate credit. In addition to the above multiple measures, high schools may wish to consider the following measures for selecting students to participate in CCP programs:

  • Teacher recommendations
  • Completion of pre-requisite coursework with a “C” or better
  • Student essays or interviews

Currently, students may enroll in college courses in the following career areas:

  • Accounting
  • Advanced Manufacturing (CNC Machine Technology Program)
  • Allied Health
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Engineering
  • Marketing

The area high schools partnering in the HCC Consortium include:

  • Ansonia High School
  • Bassick High School
  • Bullard Havens Technical High School 
  • Bunnell High School
  • Central High School
  • Foran High School
  • Jonathan Law High School
  • Kolbe Cathedral High School
  • Shelton High School
  • Stratford High School
  • Trumbull High School
  • Warren Harding High School

Additionally, high school instructors must possess the comparable credentials relative to HCC faculty teaching the same courses on campus or online in adherence to the accreditation standards of the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE).

For more information, students should speak to their high school guidance counselor or contact: Gail Stevens, HCC Academic Partnerships, at (203) 332-5105 or email gstevens@housatonic.edu

All Other High School Students

In order for students, including non-HSP and all others without a high school diploma or GED to be admitted to Housatonic, they must demonstrate sufficient scholastic ability as demonstrated by meeting the following minimum scores on the Accuplacer placement test: Reading (score of 55 or higher); Sentence Skills (score of 60 or higher); Arithmetic (score of 34 or higher). For consistency purposes, these are the same minimum scores used by the Federal government in determining financial aid eligibility for certain students. A letter of recommendation from their high school principal or a designated representative also must be submitted with the application to the Admissions Office. These students are required to pay tuition and fees for any courses taken.

All students without a high school diploma or GED may be admitted to courses of study for which they satisfy the prerequisites. These students should have such maturity and other qualities indicating ability to profit from a program offered by the college. Maturity level may be determined through a personal interview. The credits earned shall be held until graduation from high school, at which time credits may be used to satisfy appropriate degree requirements or may be transferred to other colleges.

Unless students have a qualifying SAT or ACT test waiver, a placement test is required of all students who are interested in participating in the High School Partnership Program and for other high school students on a tuition-paying basis who plan on taking classes at Housatonic Community College.

  Back to Top

Admission of Senior Citizens & Veterans

Waiver of Tuition for Senior Citizens, Qualified Veterans and the Children of Certain Servicemen

Connecticut residents aged 62 or older who have been accepted for admission to Housatonic Community College shall be exempt from payment of tuition, general fees, and the application fee provided if, at the end of the regular registration period, there is space available in the course(s) in which the person intends to enroll. Proof of age must be submitted to the Business Office to complete the eligibility requirements for this waiver. A special registration session is held just prior to each fall and spring semester.

Admission of Veterans

Housatonic’s Veteran’s Affairs Representative is located in LH-B105 and is available to answer questions regarding Veteran’s tuition benefits.

Qualified veterans, who were residents of Connecticut when accepted for admission to Housatonic Community College, may be exempt from payment of tuition. You may also be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Persons who believe they may qualify for this waiver of tuition should speak with the Veteran’s Affairs Office for further information about eligibility requirements.

In addition, veterans eligible to receive educational benefits must bring a copy of their DD-214 (separation papers). Veterans eligible to receive military educational benefits under the GI Bill must bring a legible copy of their DD-214 discharge if there was prior active duty on their current Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if the student is a member of the CT Guard or Reserves.

Tuition waivers are granted to all current CT Guard personnel in good standing as well as veterans who served 90 days or more during Desert Storm or other military operations in a time of war and were discharged honorably.

The dependent children of certain servicemen who have been declared missing in action, 100% disabled by the V.A., or prisoners of war may be eligible for benefits.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class. 
    • Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school.
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.
 Back to Top

Admission of International Students

Each of the steps listed below are critical for enrolling International Students and must be followed:

  1. Housatonic Community College Welcomes International Students from all over the world to attend and pursue a degree at our institution. An international student is an F-1 visa holder or, a person who would like to apply for an F-1 (student) visa.
  2. The credentials of an applicant for admission from another country are evaluated in accordance with general admissions requirements. A completed International Student Packet must be submitted to the Admissions Office. Applicants who wish to begin undergraduate study must submit all credentials by July 1 for the fall semester and by November 1 for the spring semester. Once the International Student Packet is submitted, admissions will begin to exchange official correspondence, and, if the applicant is admitted, these deadlines will allow time to obtain a passport and/or visa. The I-20 Form, required by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, is issued by the college only to students who have been accepted as full-time degree students.
  3. Evidence of the ability to read, write, and speak English well enough to pursue college courses must be submitted to the college. If the applicant’s primary language is not English, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores are required. Information about the test can be obtained at www.ets.org or www.ielts.org.
  4. Housatonic is a commuter school; there are no housing facilities for students. A notarized letter of residence must be submitted stating the applicants intended local residential address in Connecticut while attending Housatonic Community College. Funding must be available to cover the cost of all school and living expenses during the entire period of anticipated study in the U.S.
  5. International students are required to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. The college awards no financial aid (grants or loans) to international students. However, accepted students are encouraged to seek scholarship opportunities through the Housatonic Community College Foundation. Applicants must be entirely self-supporting and be able to meet all financial obligations to the college in full and from their own resources. Employment in the United States is not guaranteed, and immigration laws governing employment of international students are very strict. Therefore, a letter or affidavit of support must be submitted from a financial sponsor, who must state his/her name and their relationship to the applicant. The sponsor must submit a recent official financial bank statement in an amount calculated by the Admissions Office to demonstrate his/ her willingness and ability to meet any financial obligations that are related to the student’s studies at Housatonic Community College.

For additional information, please contact the Office of Admission at HC-HCCAdmissions@housatonic.edu or by phone at 203-332-5996.

  Back to Top

Admission for a Second Degree

A student who already holds an academic degree may earn a second degree in a different curriculum at Housatonic Community College. Such a student will be treated in the same manner as a transfer student with respect to the minimum number of credits to be taken for the second degree at Housatonic. This will require at least 25 percent of the minimum credit requirements in the second curriculum to be additional coursework completed at the college. In no case can a second degree be awarded unless a student has 75 or more credits.

For further information contact the Registrar’s office at 203-332-5090.

 Back to Top

New England Regional Student Program

The New England Regional Student Program (RSP), one of the basic programs administered by the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE), was established in 1957. The RSP enables residents of New England to attend an out-of-state public college or university within New England for certain degree programs that are not available in their home-state public institutions and pay either in-state tuition or 50 percent above that amount.

For more information go to the New England Board of Higher Education web site at www.NEBHE.org/tuitionbreak.

 Back to Top

Transferring to Housatonic

Please see Appendix: Transfer - Acceptance of Credit at Community Colleges (3.17.1)  of this catalog.

Housatonic Community College accepts college-level transfer courses from all regionally accredited collegial institutions (New England, Middle States, North Central, Southern, Northwest and Western Associations of Schools & Colleges. (see policy referenced above). A grade of C- or higher is required, except for programs and courses requiring a grade of C or better. Transfer students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program. While your transcript is in process for evaluation, you may provide an Advisor with a copy of your transcript for advising purposes. Academic Advisors will unofficially evaluate transcripts and assist students with course selections. Advisors refer to the HCC course catalog, and follow course prerequisite requirements. Students are encouraged to refer to the college’s course catalog to become familiar with their program course requirements and the pre-requisites needed.

 Back to Top

Receiving Transfer Credit

An applicant who has attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute) and wishes to have transfer credits earned from another accredited academic institution applied towards his or her degree at Housatonic Community College must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. An applicant should select ‘Transfer student’ on the admission application. Transfer students are students who have attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute) must request official transcript(s) of previous course work be sent to HCC’s Admission Office.
  2. Official college transcript(s) from previous college(s) can be mailed directly, sent electronically, or hand delivered (in a sealed envelope). (see Transfer-In Guidelines below for more information)
  3. Transfer students are required to provide course descriptions for any course work completed ten years ago or more; or if a college professor or Advisor requests them to support proper advisement.  
  4. The applicant must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program; accepted by Admissions as an HCC student, or currently attending classes.
  5. Transfer credit is granted only if those courses are equivalent to courses required for your current degree or certificate program.
 Back to Top

Transfer-in Guidelines

  1. Upon admittance to HCC, make sure you notify the Admissions Office that you have transfer courses from another college or university.
  2. In order for your transfer courses to be evaluated and accepted at HCC, you must provide official college transcripts:

    Mail: Contact your previous college and request an official transcript be mailed to HCC:
    Housatonic Community College
    Admissions Office
    900 Lafayette Blvd
    Bridgeport, CT 06604

    Online Request: Visit your previous college’s website. Many colleges offer online college transcript requests.  In this case, you complete an online request form and your official college transcript is sent electronically to HCC’s Transfer Office. 

    Hand-deliver: Contact your previous college and request an official transcript be mailed directly to you or pick up the document in-person. *Do not open the envelope. Bring the sealed envelope to the Transfer Office, LH-L111. Any ‘opened’ and unsealed envelope will be considered ‘unofficial’, and cannot be officially applied to your degree or certificate program.    
  3. Courses are evaluated and officially accepted by the Transfer Office.
  4. Course Descriptions: Transfer students are required to provide course descriptions for courses completed 5 years ago or more.
  5. Unofficial Transcripts: Any “opened” or unsealed envelope, faxed, emailed or copies college transcripts. These cannot be officially applied to your degree or certificate program. However, you may provide an unofficial transcript to your Advisor for advising purposes. In this case, the Advisor will “unofficially” evaluate your transfer courses and help you build your course schedule and register. In order for your college transcript to be officially evaluated and applied to your degree or certificate program, please refer to step 3 above.
  6. Checking to see your transfer courses accepted at HCC:
        Visit the HCC website
        On the right, click MyCommNet
        Log into MyCommNet using you NetID
        Select Degree Works  - Housatonic Community College
        Under format, select Degree Evaluation
        TR will indicate transfer courses
  7. BHSN Graduates are responsible for having their official transcripts sent directly to the Transfer Office, LH-L111.
  8. Graduating students have priority status: HCC students with 50+ credits, and plan to graduate from HCC, may notify the Transfer Office accordingly. As a result, your transcripts will be evaluated as soon as possible.
  9. Scheduling a meeting: The Transfer Office staff  will assess each student’s needs in order to determine if an in-person/individual meeting is necessary.
  10. There is a high volume of transcripts that need to be evaluated, and are evaluated according to the date received.  Official evaluations may take some time to be complete. So, students are asked to bring a copy of their transcript to show an Advisor for advising purposes. The Advisor will unofficially evaluate the transcript/s and suggest course selections toward your program of choice. The Advisors are located in Lafayette Hall, Room L111. Walk-ins are welcome during regular business hours.
  Back to Top