Apr 23, 2024  
2022-2023 Academic Catalog 
2022-2023 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

CSCU Pathway Transfer Degree: Geography Studies (EG24)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees & Certificates

Becoming Connecticut State Community College …

STUDENTS: The Community Colleges are undergoing a merger with a plan to become Connecticut State Community College in fall 2023; please work closely with your advisor/program coordinator to select your courses accordingly. CLICK HERE   for more detail about this exciting transition! 


Associate in Arts Degree


Please contact a campus advisor for this program:
Professor Matt Dunne, MDunne@Housatonic.edu


These requirements are effective if you declared the Transfer Ticket: CSCU Pathway Transfer Degree: Geography Studies. A.A. major for the 2019-20 academic year.

With this degree you will be able to transfer to the following majors. Follow this link for important information about when and how to apply for transfer to a State University or Charter Oak State College.

At Central Connecticut State University:


Geography with Specialization in Environmental Geography, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in General/Regional Geography, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Geographic Information Science, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Planning, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Tourism, B.A.

At Southern Connecticut State University: 


Geography, B.A.
Geography - Concentration: Geographic Information Science and Technology, B.S.

See your advisor for guidance on minor choices*

These courses are meant to complete 50% of the minor requirement in all of CCSU’s specializations, but can also be used to begin a minor or second major at SCSU. CCSU allows you to major and minor in Geography as long as your minor is in a different specialization from the major.

Here is the recommended course of study for the CSCU Pathway Transfer Degree: Geography Studies, A.A. If you are studying part time, simply follow the order of the courses listed here.  Note that not all courses will be available every semester. You will notice that in many instances you will be able to choose the specific course you will take from within a category. For a list of the courses from each category that you can choose from, go to PDF_CSCU Transfer Electives  .

*Use unrestricted elective credits to complete 9 credits in one subject area. 3-6 of these credits may also meet general education requirements. You should consider pursuing a minor subject area based upon your specific field of interest in geography. Some suggested disciplines include:

ANT Anthropology EAS Earth Science ECN Economics, EVS Environmental Science, GEO Geography (CCSU)
GLG Geology, HIS History, MAT Mathematics (statistics preferred), POL Political Science, CSA, CSC, CST Computer Science


TAP Application Info

  • Begin the transfer application process in your third semester or the semester before you plan to graduate. FAFSA becomes available October 1.

First Semester

Second Semester

Third Semester

Begin the transfer application process in your third semester or the semester before you plan to graduate. FAFSA becomes available Oct 1.

Fourth Semester

Apply for graduation during your last semester at HCC.

Total Credits: 60

These courses are not available at Housatonic. In order to complete them, you will need to take them at another institution. They are often offered online at other community colleges. Your advisor can help you arrange to take these courses.

2 You are free to choose any courses at or above 100-level to complete unrestricted electives, although you may need to use these credits to take courses that prepare you for required courses in the degree program.  You should also consider using unrestricted electives to meet foreign language requirements at Central, Eastern and Western Connecticut State Universities or to begin work on completing a minor. Central Connecticut State University will require that you complete a minor by earning at least 18 credits in one area outside your major field; you must complete at least 9 of those minor credits at Central. You can also complete other General Education requirements for CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, and COSC-but not ECSU. You are encouraged to meet with your advisor to determine which courses to select.

3 GEO 204 Geography and Tourism Development is strongly recommended if you are planning to pursue the Specialization in Tourism at Central. This course is NOT offered at HCC

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees & Certificates